Emergencies are unexpected and unplanned, yet they are an unavoidable part of life, and you need someone you can turn to. In case of a dental emergency, you can count on the caring team at Parkside Dental to get you out of pain and back to the business of smiling – fast. We provide same day service for dental emergencies, regardless of whether or not you are currently a patient.
Handling a dental emergency
If you are in or near Murphy, TX, when emergency strikes, call Parkside Dental right away. There are also steps you can take to minimize the pain and damage until you make it to a dental office. These include:
- Over-the-counter pain relievers can make you more comfortable, but be sure to use them as directed. Taking more than the recommended dosage, or holding a pill against your gums, can be harmful.
- Choose soft foods that are neither cold nor hot.
- If a tooth has been knocked out, rinse it very gently and place it back in the socket or in a clean container of milk.
- Broken or loose dental restorations can often be secured temporarily with denture adhesive or sugar-free gum.
- Visit the emergency room or your general physician if you have suffered broken bones, facial injury, or you are bleeding profusely.
- Always remain calm, particularly if you are caring for an injured child.
When emergencies are optional
Of course, no one chooses to have a dental emergency. However, many emergencies can be avoided with measures such as:
- Good hygiene – You’ve heard it a million times, but toothbrush and floss is your best weapon against decay and disease that leads to abscesses and unbearable toothaches.
- Regular dental care – At home hygiene is only one part of maintaining great oral health. Regular dental care with cleanings and checkups every six months is equally important.
- Tooth friendly habits – Avoid crunching ice, opening bottles with your teeth, biting your fingernails, and other habits that can lead to breakage.
- Protective sports gear – If you or your child play contact sports, always wear appropriate protection such as helmets and mouth guards.
Remember, you are not alone in a dental emergency. Drs. Larsen and their exceptional team are here for you, with same day emergency service for patients of all ages.